A Women's Health Clinic is available at the Partners MS Center!
This clinical program is focused on issues unique to our female patients with multiple sclerosis.
We help address and manage specific concerns of our female patients around family planning, infertility, pregnancy management, post-partum and nursing management, and menopause.
The Women's Health Clinic is staffed by the following MS specialists:
Dr. Maria Houtchens, Director, and Assistant Professor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School
Dr. Riley Bove, Instructor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Who would be appropriate for a consultation at Women's Health Clinic?
1. MS patients thinking about family planning
2. MS patients who are currently pregnant
3. MS patients who have recently delivered
4. MS patients who are unable to get pregnant due to prior MS-related treatments or other infertility concerns
5. MS patients who are menopausal (either naturally, or due to prior MS-related treatments)
- What would be the focus of an appointment at Women's Health Clinic?
1. discussion of genetic risk
2. expectations for MS management in pregnancy with an individualized approach to each case in terms of treatment strategies, time off medications, safety of staying off therapies, etc
3. discussion of pregnancy outcomes, lactation issues, post-partum follow-up (MRI, other tests, restart of MS treatments)
4. MS prognosis post-delivery
5. menopause management
- Can I continue to see my primary neurologist after this visit?
- Yes, it is expected that your long-term MS care will be continued with your MS specialist. You will not need to switch doctors to benefit from this service. You can come for a one-time consultation, or be seen at the Women's Clinic until your specific issues have been fully addressed.